Frequently asked questions
Section: Concept and brand
What is The Dark North?
- The Dark North is a fantasy, horror and science fiction art book anthology series. In it, concept artists and illustrators will have the opportunity to show never before published original artwork, in a premium coffee table book. The purpose of The Dark North project is to showcase the wonderful work of these talents to the world, to allow new audiences to find and explore the creativity and talent of Nordic fantasy, science fiction and horror artists.
What is the connection to Scandinavia/Northern Europe?
- Currently, the connection is two-fold: Firstly, The Dark North brand embodies the special physical and emotional ambiance of Northern Europe. The harsh winds that brush landscapes of dark woods, ice-age beaten mountains and deep lakes carry a melancholy tune into the minds of the land’s rough-hewn inhabitants. The contrasting seasons - endless light and days of total darkness - has produced a certain ambiance, present in many facets of our creative landscape. You can see it in the clothes we design and wear, the music we create and the furniture we build. This also permeates the creative scene in Scandinavia, which encapsulates themes like mythology, the long night and the physical landscapes of the north, but also the landscapes in mankind’s own souls. Secondly, The Dark North - Volume 1 is primarily a showcase for Swedish artists. Our intention with the books and on darknorthart.com is to expand beyond the confines of Swedish creativity to find visions from all around northern Europe.
Who are the artists featured in The Dark North Volume 1?
- Have a look at the artist section.
When will The Dark North Volume 1 be released?
- Volume 1 of The Dark North is already released. You can order the book in the ”store”-section.
How much is the book?
- 39 USD.
How much is the shipping?
- USA - 10 USD
- Sweden - 10 USD
- UK, Germany, Denmark, Finland, Austria and Czech Republic - 19 USD
- France, Spain, Netherlands, Estonia, Latvia, Poland, Monaco, Ireland, Belgium, Hungary, Åland - 25 USD
- Norway - 29 USD
- Switzerland, Italy, Portugal - 32 USD
- Lituania - 35 USD
- Rest of the world - 39 USD
Will there be a Volume 2 of The Dark North?
- The Dark North is an anthology series and we intend to release several volumes of spectacular art with themes tied to the northern darkness.
Where are all the women?
– The fantasy, horror and sci-fi genres are dominated by men. Our project carries the same curse. We won’t excuse ourselves for who we are, but we will actively work to involve female contributors in The Dark North. We are already talking to some very talented women, and we can’t wait to get them involved!
What is a Kickstarter campaign?
– Kickstarter is a way of funding creative projects, by allowing the creators of the project to secure financial security through interested backers. A successful Kickstarter campaign means the project will be launched and the level of success determines the quality of and additions to the product itself. Read more here https://www.kickstarter.com.
When will the Kickstarter campaign be launched?
– The campaign was launched in October 2015 and raised more than 38,000 USD.
Section: How to interact with us?
What do I do if I am a kick-ass artist and want to contribute?
- If you are interested in participating in future volumes of The Dark North, please send an email to email@example.com. Preferably, this email should contain a link to a page with your CV and examples of your artwork to date. If some of the artwork is not indicative of the work you do today, please state so clearly. The team behind The Dark North will contact you with further information. Please do not email repeatedly asking for information about your submissions.
I am a member of the press and want to write about or showcase The Dark North; what do I do?
- Any press enquires should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Someone from our team will be in touch with you to discuss details.
I have other ideas on how to make The Dark North even better; what do I do?
- Please contact our team at email@example.com and let us know about your ideas. We are always looking for new ways to improve.
Who are behind The Dark North?
- Read more about the people behind The Dark North here.